Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Review: The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell



The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell

HarperCollins, April 2010
Young Adult
389 pages

(So I'm a little late, but I finally got around to reading The Carrie Diaries and figured I'd share my thoughts.)

Though the cover of The Carrie Diaries is eye catching, something about the super sweetness of it didn't make me want to read it immediately. After seeing it available for loan on my library network's e-book site, though, I decided to give it a shot (I'm always looking for quality reads for my new nook).

I have to say, I'm surprised by how much I ended up enjoying this book. The plot, though over the top at times, is still extremely relatable, in true Sex and the City form. The book's heroine, the future icon Carrie Bradshaw, fumbles through high school while still maintaining her cool. Even when her relationship with new hot guy Sebastian Kydd turns her small-town world upside down and threatens to ruin some of her best friendships, she remains the crazy but lovable character that Candance Bushnell created and Sarah Jessica Parker made so famous in the HBO series.

The Carrie Diaries has characters to love, characters to hate, moments to make you laugh, and moments that speak to the more troubling aspects of teenage life. Despite the often absurd take on high school life (these kids order fancy drinks in bars like they're grabbing milks at the cafeteria) The Carrie Diaries is a great read that goes beyond the frivolity and truly captures the spirit of a small-town high school.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Second Star | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates